So many of my food memories revolve around brand names. Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. Dannon yogurt. Schwann’s ice cream. Kraft Shake ‘n Bake.
I am a child of the 90s so it was almost inevitable, but I haven’t eaten macaroni and cheese in years, yogurt tends to be homemade here, and ice cream just doesn’t happen all that often.
And then there is Shake ‘n Bake. Do you remember the bags that you could put the seasoning in, add the pork chops, and then literally shake it and bake it? I loved it!
I realize there is no recreating it exactly when I don’t keep hydrogenated soybean oil, dextrose, natural flavors, or even bread crumbs in my pantry. But the flavor is really all I’m after.
So I created this homemade gluten-free spice mix perfect for pork chops. It’s got a few of my favorite things, without a few of those weird things, so I can happily feed it to a few of my favorite people.
Here’s hoping their childhood food memories won’t come with a trademark symbol.
- 1 cup rice flour or other gluten-free flour
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well with a fork until all seasonings are evenly distributed. Store in an airtight container until ready for use.
- Use about half of this mixture for every 4 lb of chicken, pork, or beef you wish to dredge lightly. Pour into a shallow bowl or pie pan, lay meat into spice mixture, press down, and flip, patting until evenly coated.