Somehow birthdays, which are supposed to be fun, often end up being exhausting for everyone from kids to parents. We’ve started doing sugar-free birthdays and have found that the kids (and grownups) stay on a much more even keep throughout the day. These cupcakes are 100% whole wheat and use only honey as a sweetener, but even the pickiest kids gobble them up!
The frosting also makes a delicious fruit dip is you happen to have extra!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cups oil
- 3/4 cups honey
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups carrots grated
- 1 cup crushed pineapple drained
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped, pecans are also nice
- Mix the dry together, and the wet together, then combine them.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes (less for cupcakes) or until a skewer comes out clean.
- For the frosting you can combine cream cheese, butter, vanilla and honey and it’s delicious. You can also skip the butter, and just do cream cheese. Add the honey and vanilla to taste.