I was craving chocolate pudding last week and since we were out of milk, I used coconut milk, which turned out to be a brilliant substitution. It’s usually something I crave and indulge in when pregnant, but I didn’t have the excuse this time:) I need a good non-pregnancy excuse for eating indulgent treats- any suggestions?
The recipe I used is the basic one from The Joy of Cooking, the cornstarch version (no eggs in this one either). I think everything else was the same, except for the switch to coconut milk, which may have actually been an improvement. Oh, and I used a slightly healthier sweetener. I never cover the pudding in the fridge either, I know they say to put plastic wrap over it to keep a skin from forming, but the skin is my favorite part!! Weird, I know…
Dairy-Free Chocolate Pudding
- 1/2 cup evaporated cane juice
- 1/3 cup plus 1 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 ounce semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 2 cups coconut milk reserve 1/4 cup to add later. Also, use the good, creamy milk.
- 3 TBSP cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Mix together the first three ingredients in a saucepan, then gradually stir in the warm water to make a runny paste.
- Bring to a boil, remove from heat. Then stir in the chocolate and coconut milk.
- Mix the cornstarch and reserved coconut milk to make a paste, then stir into the chocolate mixture, bring to a simmer and cook for one minute while stirring the whole time.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.