Buttered Cabbage and Onions

Please bear with me as I finish up my recent cabbage rampage with a side dish you may or may not be familiar with. I’m sure you’re either sick of cabbage or excited about this recipe, seeing as how you’ve also got four cabbages staring you in the face as I have.

Lets face it, this time of the year is not exactly overflowing with fresh, delicious vegetable dishes. No, right now you’re most likely eating all kinds of roots and hearty greens in at attempt to remain in season around your table.

But let me tell you something about this dish. It does not taste overly cabbagey, the way that boiled cabbage can. It does not taste of sharp brassica, the way that coleslaw so often does.

This dish, with really only three ingredients plus seasoning, tastes almost sweet and nutty. Sweet probably because of the onion and nutty probably because of the way the butter pings off of the vegetables. It is a welcomes side dish at our table for its delicious flavor, accessible ingredients, and frugal price tag.

And I promise you that if you’ve never tried buttered cabbage before; you’ll be blown away.

Print Recipe

Buttered Cabbage & Onions

Course: Side Dishes

Serves: 1

Ingredients

• 1/2 large head of green cabbage chopped
  • 1 large onion cut in half and sliced
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. In a large skillet or dutch oven melt butter over medium-low heat. Add the onion and slowly saute for several minutes or until they begin to soften. Add chopped cabbage and a bi of salt and cook slowly for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. Once onions and cabbage are tender, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.

Powered by
Plan To Eat

• And my hubby just told me organic cabbages are on sale at the health foods store! Now I know another way to use them besides sauerkraut! Reply
    Loretta January 11, 2013 AT 9:33 am

• Hi there! I wanted to let you know, I've nominated you for a Liebster Award. :) You can find the info at http://ambertemple.blogspot.com/2013/01/ive-been-nominated.html Reply
    RevAllyson January 11, 2013 AT 10:04 am

• Fried Cabbage (with or without onions or bacon or both!) is one of my husband's dishes that I make. He would be happy if I made that 3 days a week, hominy 3 days a week and mashed taters the last. Buttered cabbage is so simple and yet so awesome! Also good with a dash of garlic :) Reply
    Lollie January 21, 2013 AT 3:02 am

• I do this with olive oil and no onion, and can assure everyone its also delicious that way. I think its all about slowly cooking it down, and the carmelization. Tonight I added caraway seeds and that was also yum. Reply
    Brittney M February 4, 2013 AT 10:16 pm

• AND this kind of dish is perfect for one recovering from all kinds of illnesses or surgery (the latter is my husband's case)-low carb, low calorie, high fiber, etc.! Reply
    Cjb December 10, 2013 AT 7:39 am

• it all sounds great.but where,s the apple ?.it just seems that an apple should be put in there sometimes. other wise just great. jay Reply
    jay berry January 7, 2014 AT 7:29 am