These giant chocolate cookies, filled with chunks of dark chocolate and topped with the Real Salt sea salt, are just the thing you need to bake this week. Salt has a wonderful way of bringing out other flavors and creates the perfect balance of not-too-sweet, not-too-salty, but just-right flavor. Truly, the sea salt makes the dark chocolate really stand out and deepens the whole experience. This is not your normal chocolate cookie!
You may have noticed that as part of our Baking Basics Challenge and Giveaway, we have proudly featured some Redmond Real Salt products. I’ve used Real Salt for all my personal bakes and regular cooking recently, and I couldn’t be more pleased with their product.
Real Salt is a natural sea salt harvested in Redmond, Utah that is “recommended by medical professionals, fitness experts, and world-class chefs for its unique flavor and unrefined mineral content.” Unlike other salts, Real Salt contains no additives and is full of natural minerals and flavors. It’s fascinating to see how they mine the salt on their website; be sure to go check it out! Real Salt truly brings these cookies to the next level.
These cookies are really simple to mix up! First, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and Real Salt fine sea salt in a small bowl and set to the side. Then, in a large mixing bowl, cream the softened butter with the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. This may take a few minutes. Add in the egg yolks, egg, and vanilla and beat the mixture for a few more minutes until light again. Gradually mix the cocoa mixture in and then stir in the chocolate chips.
On a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper, place heaping 2 tablespoon size balls of cookie dough. Sprinkle the tops of each cookie generously with Real Salt kosher sea salt. Bake at 375 degrees for 14-17 min and then let cool.
Giant cookies, made with simple ingredients, filled with delicious chocolate, accented with all natural sea salt… these are the perfect indulgence!
I hope you enjoy these and I can’t wait to see what all you bake up this month!
Need to restock on salt? Use the discount code “plantoeat” at https://redmond.life/ for 15% off your entire order!
Join us for more Baking Basics this month! Whether you’re a novice or a well-seasoned baker, we’re sharing tips and tricks to help everyone gain Kitchen Confidence!
Source: The Little Blue Mixer
Course: Kitchen Confidence: Baking Basics
Main Ingredient: Chocolate
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 35 min
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Real Salt fine sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark chocolate chips
- Real Salt kosher sea salt for topping
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and Real Salt fine sea salt
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the softened butter with the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and powdered sugar until light
- Add in the egg yolks, egg, and vanilla and beat until light again, a few minutes
- Gradually mix the cocoa mixture into the butter mixture
- Stir in the dark chocolate chips
- Place heaping 2T size balls of cookie dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle the tops with Real Salt kosher sea salt.
- Bake for 14-17 minutes at 375 degrees. Let cool on the pan for 5 minutes and then move to a wire cooling rack to cool completely