This past week and half has seen my husband in bed sick with a mysterious something or other. We’re still not sure what exactly the problem is, but we know that the adrenals and his digestive system are involved.
During this period he has not been eating much. We tend to revert to the GAPS diet when someone is unwell. Lots of broths, long-cooked meats and vegetables, and easy-to-digest cultured vegetables and dairy.
The adrenal glands live for minerals of all sorts. And since he had spent the week before his illness working in the 100+ degree heat on building a fence, I knew he must be in desperate need of some minerals.
Our plan of attack was to address both his digestion and adrenal glands with the following:
- A liquid herbal mineral supplement.
- A good quality electrolyte drink.
- These probiotics.
- The stomach acid supplement zypan.
I like supplements like these for when someone is sick, but sick or not we try to stick to the concept that food should be your medicine. So besides nourishing bone broths, I made this mineral-rich Bieler’s broth one night. I added some meat and tomatoes to it in order to create a more filling meal for the whole family, but it is fine as is for those recovering from an illness.
Dr. Henry Bieler found that this specific combination of vegetables provided a good amount of minerals for those who are convalescing. Potassium, in particular, comes from the large quantity of zucchini. Using a good quality sea salt is also beneficial for its mineral content.
- 4 medium zucchini squash chopped
- 1 pound green beans trimmed
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 2 bunches parsley stems removed and leaves chopped roughly
- filtered water
- good quality sea salt
- whey (optional)
- Combine all vegetables and herbs in a Dutch oven cover with water. Bring to a boil, skim any foam that comes to the top, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add sea salt to taste and serve. If using whey allow to cool to room temperature before adding whey.