Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Sugar-Free Oat Flour Banana Bread

Some how I amassed three bunches of very ripe bananas last week. I don’t even usually even buy bananas, but there they were. Naturally, banana bread seemed like the logical solution.

It’s hard, though, to find a recipe for banana bread that doesn’t involve a cup of sugar and plain old wheat flour, plus we were sick so we were avoiding cooked dairy at the time. So I put this recipe together from snippets of other recipes.

Oftentimes this results in failure, but I am glad I tried it because my husband said “This is the best banana bread ever.” So naturally I made four loaves in three days.

It is definitely not as sweet as its sugary-counterparts, but it is loaded with yummy banana flavor, sans the sugar, gluten, and dairy.

Gluten, Sugar, and Dairy-Free Banana Bread

makes two loaves

• 6 very ripe bananas (medium-large)
  • 2/3 cup melted coconut oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 cups oat flour
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts or almonds

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease two loaf pans. In a large bowl mash bananas with a fork until they form a slightly chunky banana paste. Add melted coconut oil and incorporate. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
  2. In a separate, medium-sized bowl combine oat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Whisk together until completely combined.
  3. Add the dry ingredients about 1/3 at a time, mixing until barely combined each time. After all of the dry ingredients have been added fold in the nuts.
  4. Scrape batter into prepared loaf pans and bake in 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean when inserted into center of loaf. Turn out onto a cooling rack and cool completely before cutting, lest you run the risk of an extra-crumbly bread.
  5. Enjoy with plenty of butter if you can tolerate it.

• What size loaf pan do you use?

Lindsay November 11, 2015 AT 2:13 pm
  • Love your recipe. I have already made it twice and it is a hit. I substituted 1/4 cup unsweetened organic apple sauce for each egg due to a family member’s sensitivity and it turned out great. Also substituted gluten free arrowroot flour for some of the oat flour when I ran out of it and it turned out fine. I posted it on my facebook page and it was well received. :)

Thanks for sharing!

Michelle June 11, 2014 AT 3:52 pm
  • Can the eggs be substituted with a vegan option? Flax/water? I just wondered if you tried it, or any poster might have. It’s hard to find a recipe online that is gluten, sugar free AND vegan, but that’s what I would like. Please advise, anyone!

Amy May 21, 2014 AT 5:57 am
    • Yes, I used 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce for each egg and it turned out delicious! :)

Michelle June 11, 2014 AT 3:53 pm
    • I made it with flax eggs! i did four tablespoons of flax and then roughly 10-12 tablespoons of water. let them sit until it thickens and then add! it worked perfectly.

Carrie June 11, 2014 AT 8:58 pm
  • My husband devoured the loaf and requested that I make another. Considering he “hates” banana bread, I’d consider that a glowing endorsement. Thanks! :-)

Dee March 12, 2014 AT 2:17 pm
  • I just had to comment on this recipe because it was amazing! Over the past few years I keep trying a banana bread recipe that didn’t have sugar or any kind of sweetener besides bananas. I have now found THE recipe! Most people in my family don’t like banana bread unless it has so much sugar, it might as well be a cake! But they all loved it so much. For the first time, i did have to add cinnamon chips to one of the pans (and nuts for me in the other) to get them to at least try it, but hopefully next time I won’t. Thank you for an outstanding recipe. I didn’t have a full 3 cups of oat flour, so did 2-1/2 cups and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour. Added an extra teaspoon of cinnamon and vanilla and it was awesome. Thank you again!!!!!

Kaytlynn February 26, 2014 AT 10:53 am
  • Wow. We are loving these. amazing. Added 1/2 cup of honey. Going to try muffins next. So yummy.

Jeff February 13, 2014 AT 12:53 am

Gift Subscriptions

Eat healthier food. Save time & Money. Know what‘s for dinner.

Wow, that sounds like a great gift!