Using the Pantry Staples List to Simplify Your Shopping

While the Plan to Eat Menu Planner and Shopping List are seamlessly integrated to automatically create your shopping list with everything you need for the meals you’ve planned, there are likely lots of other items you purchase regularly that aren’t part of those recipes. Things like milk, toilet paper, diapers, maple syrup, coffee, shampoo, etc.

add-itemsYou can add any item to your shopping list quickly and easily by clicking the Add Items button, but you can also save time — and avoid forgetting something important — by setting up a list of Staple Items that is saved in your account.

Set Up Staple Items

To add items to your Staple list, click the Staple Items tab at the top of your shopping list.

Click on Add Items and then add the item’s description.

Select a default category then choose to add items to specific stores or keep them on your Any Store list by default.

stores

You can also drag the items to specific stores on the left sidebar once you’ve added them to your list. This does not add them to that store’s actual shopping list; it just sets the store as the default so that you can add multiple things to your shopping list at once and they will all show up on the right store’s list.

Add Staples to Your Shopping List

Then, to add those items to your current Shopping List, either Select All to add everything on your Staples List to your Shopping List or simply check off however many items you need.

At the top of the list, select the store list you want to add the items to and click Add to Main List.

To delete items permanently from your Staples, select the check box and then click Delete Items.

I haven’t done this yet, but my plan is to add items to the Staples list as I add them to my grocery list each week. That way I’ll eventually have all of those staples right in front of my eyes so I can quickly browse and see what we may need even if I’ve forgotten to write it down in the meantime!

Do you use the Staple Items list to add regular purchases to your shopping list?

• It would be great if we could add items to the staples list from our shopping list as well. Thanks! Reply
    Lisa August 15, 2011 AT 8:49 am

• I really like that idea Lisa. Thanks for sharing! Reply
      Clint August 15, 2011 AT 11:58 am

• I guess I don't understand the Pantry. I'm not understanding how to set it up. I think i might be thinking about it in the wrong way. What I want to do is set up in there what I already have, not what i want to get. How do you do this. Thanks Reply
    Veronica November 10, 2011 AT 12:44 pm

• Yes, i agree with veronica, i'm trying to figure out the pantry. i'd like to be able to know i have 4 cans of tuna in my pantry and instead of buying tuna each week, just have to add it to my list once the quantity from the pantry is gone. is there a way of setting this up? So your pantry acts as your inventory? Reply
    Lucinda December 31, 2011 AT 11:17 am

• The pantry is mostly a place to put the stuff you don't need to shop for, but I have plans to add the ability to edit amounts and units for shopping list items which will help with the pantry as well. Currently you can expire pantry items based on a time frame but I suppose could add another option to expire pantry items after they have been used in your meal plan. Reply
    Plan to Eat January 4, 2012 AT 3:36 pm

• Not sure where to post this question so I'll try here. There are many recipe ingredients like "salt" and "pepper" and "olive oil" that show up every week that I only purchase every now and then. Is there any way to move these permanently to the pantry? They seem to show up over and over no matter how many times I put them in the pantry, the grow legs and walk back over to the weekly shopping list. Sigh. I'm sure you have a trick to keep them off my list! :) Reply
    Lucinda January 12, 2012 AT 7:13 pm

• Hi Lucinda, If you set your expiration settings (found at the top right of your pantry list) to never expire, then all items in your pantry should stay there until you manually remove them. The best way to contact our support is to click on the Help link at the top right of the Plan to Eat website. This allows us (me) to see your Plan to Eat account and answer your questions more specifically. Clint Reply
      Plan to Eat January 15, 2012 AT 6:00 pm

• I see how it works now! Thanks! (I had been removing the item from my list, rather than moving it to the pantry, duh!) Reply
        Lucinda January 16, 2012 AT 9:27 pm