Stock Your Freezer with “Overripe” Bananas and Save

Bananas2

I probably look like a crazy woman when I head to our local grocery store and load up my cart with bags of “overripe” bananas, but because they’re so versatile, I usually buy as many as the store has available.

The funny thing about “overripe” bananas is that they’re really not overripe at all! In fact, bananas aren’t fully ripe until they begin to develop brown spots, but of course most people prefer to buy bright yellow, unblemished bananas, so grocery stores sell the older ones at a steep discount.

So what do we do with all of those bananas?

My kids eat a lot of bananas each week, so a good portion of them simply sit out on the counter until they’re eaten.

I peel and freeze the rest in batches of 4 or 5 bananas to be used in:

You could also dip them in chocolate and freeze them for a yummy treat, and I recently came across this recipe, which I can’t wait to try:

Ingredients:

• frozen banana
  • cream
  • cinnamon sugar

Directions:

1. Cut the frozen banana into thick slices and layer in the bottom of a bowl.

2. Drizzle slowly with cream, which will freeze on the bananas.

3. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar…and enjoy!

Do you purchase “overripe” bananas to freeze? What else do you make with them?

• We freeze bananas mostly for banana bread and smoothies, but I just put them in the freezer in the peeling. When I need bananas for bread, I set them out to thaw, snip the end off, squeeze them out and mash them. For smoothies, I just peel them with a knife. The recipes for the frozen banana slice snacks sounds yummy. Reply
    Carol April 21, 2011 AT 9:42 am

• I'm not particularly fond of freezing bananas b/c they turn dark over time. Reply
    annie April 21, 2011 AT 4:50 pm

• I buy the bags like in the photo whenever my store has them. I love the easy ice cream with a few mini chocolate chips mixed in. I also slice them and cook them in a skillet with a little butter and cinnamon. They will start to caramalize and smell so good. I serve that over french toast or just plain toast. If you peel the bananas first and put them in a freezer bag, they won't turn brown. Reply
    Melisa April 22, 2011 AT 6:36 am

• I use loads of overripe bananas. Smoothies, muffins, cakes are great. My kids also poke Popsicle sticks in them and suck on them like ice cream pops! Reply
    Rivki Locker April 22, 2011 AT 1:40 pm

• It's been chilly here and I want to bake and fill my freezer with mini-muffins for when my sister visits in June. My store hasn't had any ripe ones on sale in quite a while and every time I buy edible ones, they get eaten before I can bake banana bread or peanut butter chocolate chip banana bread! When they do get good and ripe, if I'm not baking, we peel them and freeze them in Tupperware. My husband uses them in his protein shakes. Reply
    Christine April 22, 2011 AT 2:02 pm

• Dip them in lemon juice before anything and they will not turn brown :) Reply
    KayK April 23, 2011 AT 2:32 pm

• Sounds yummy, and thanks for the tip on putting them in the freezer bag. Reply
    joyceandnorm.wordpress.com April 24, 2011 AT 12:01 am

• I should keep an eye out for the overripe bananas. I've never seen them sold at a discount. For the ones that just age at home, I love making baked goods and smoothies from them. Reply
    Michelle April 24, 2011 AT 5:45 pm

• They're also fantastic in pancakes, especially if coconut milk is substituted for milk. Reply
    Cindy April 24, 2011 AT 10:50 pm

• I can them in my waterbath canner (the same way you would can peaches or pears.) The Prudent Homemaker has a tutorial: http://theprudenthomemaker.com/howtocanbananas.aspx Reply
    Kathirynne April 25, 2011 AT 10:01 am

• Would you please send me instructions on canning bananas. I tried to go to your attached link but it has moved and I can't find it. Thanks, Carolyn Reply
      Carolyn Gardner September 16, 2012 AT 5:14 pm

• Carolyn, the link for canned bananas is at http://theprudenthomemaker.com/index.php/canned-bananas. Often, a website with treasures that have been shared by grateful visitors for years will update, and a link won't work simply because the page has been renamed. When this happens, one great trick is to: 1. copy the link, 2. paste it in your address bar, 3. "cut" everything after the ".com" (what's left will give you the site's main page), 4. then search the site for the missing link by using their search box or looking at their navigational menu. In this case, I looked at their navigational menu, found recipes then canning recipes and finally bananas! If, however, you don't find it on the site anymore at all, then now is the time to use the part you cut from the link (this is why you cut instead of delete -- so that you'll still have it!) 1. paste *just the cut part* into a blank address bar and hit send (which automatically googles it for you 2. If anyone has reposted the recipe (or whatever the missing link is) by using its same name, that will come up for you now in the search results. Hope this helps! Colleen Reply
        Colleen October 14, 2012 AT 12:53 am

• Me too, that's how I do it. I just buy my bananas and when we haven't eaten them all before they get too brown to eat, they go in the freezer. I love making banana bread! Reply
    Callista April 27, 2011 AT 9:20 pm

• OMG! Thanks for all the suggestions. I was given a whole case of "overripe" bananas - which as a child, I didn't know you ate bananas that were bright yellow with no brown spots! We owned a grocery store and we only ate the black ones!! : ) The cream/cinnamon treat sounds great! I will make it for Family Home Evening next Monday! Thanks again! Reply
    Kay Dean August 10, 2012 AT 3:32 pm

• i use over ripe bananas in a very yummy snack recipe i found online! these 'Fluffy Milk Chocolate Banana Muffins' are delicious and they're not so unhealthy either. Easy to make,gets rid of "brown" bananas,and kids love them! Here's the link to the recipe: http://www.crunchycreamysweet.com/2013/07/14/fluffy-milk-chocolate-banana-muffins/ i hope this recipe if useful. Reply
    Sabina October 10, 2014 AT 9:09 pm