One simple way that I try to save money while cooking or baking is to simply work with whatever foods I already have in the kitchen. Admittedly, it can be difficult to come up with a meal that brings together whatever bits and pieces of leftovers you have to make something fresh and new. That is where this frittata recipe comes in so handy! It’s filling enough to enjoy for any meal throughout the day, and you can truly use whatever meats or veggies you have on hand to create something delicious. We’ve found this meal to be especially handy on those nights when you need something quick!
It’s delicious; it’s easy; it’s customizable; and it’s healthy!
Other than the meats and/or veggies you choose to add to your frittata, you will need eggs, heavy cream, and cheese. The only thing I had to grab from the store to make my frittata was a small container of heavy cream!
I used one small sweet potato and one small russet potato from the pantry. We made tacos earlier this week, so I used the remaining chicken and sautéed veggies from that and a bit of spicy venison sausage leftover from breakfast one day. Lastly, I decided to add in some spinach to get some more veggies in and add some color.
Get creative and use whatever you have on hand; I wish we would have had some cherry tomatoes, those add a delicious kick of flavor and pretty color!
Once you start cooking it goes pretty quick, so make sure all of your ingredients are prepped and chopped beforehand.
First, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, and a pinch of salt. Next, chop the veggies and meats into similarly sized pieces.
In an ovenproof skillet (cast iron is great for this), cook any meats or veggies that are raw. For me, that was the potatoes. I coated them with a bit of olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper and cooked until tender.
Next, add in any remaining ingredients that are cooked but need to be reheated. For me, that was the chicken, sausage, and sautéed peppers. Cook for about a minute. Lastly, I added in the spinach and cooked until wilted, about 2 minutes.
Spread the veggie mixture evenly in the bottom of the skillet and sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the top. When the cheese is just starting to melt, pour in the eggs and heavy cream. The eggs should just cover the top of the veggies. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees or until the eggs are no longer runny. Let cool for a few minutes and then enjoy!
The first time I made a frittata, which was about a year ago, I was so pleasantly surprised with just how tasty it was! It’s hearty and filling and fresh and just a good savory meal.
I hope you enjoy this one!
This frittata is perfect weeknight meal to help you make it one more night before going to the store! It's delicious, easy, customizable, and healthy!
Course: Main Course
Main Ingredient: Eggs
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Total Time: 30 min
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1 heaping cup potatoes* (sweet potato and/or russet) diced
- 1⁄2 cup meat* (chicken, sausage, ham, turkey, etc.) diced
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper* sautéed
- 2 cups spinach*
- 1 cup cheese shredded
- *feel free to substitute these specific ingredients for roughly 2 cups
- of any veggies and/or meat combination you choose
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk together eggs, heavy cream, and a pinch of salt.
- Dice veggies and meats into evenly sized pieces.
- In an oven proof skillet (cast iron is great), cook any raw meats or veggies. Since my meat and peppers were already cooked, I coated the potatoes with a bit of olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper, and cooked until tender.
- Add any remaining meats or veggies that need to be reheated to the skillet. Cook for about a minute or until warm.
- Add in the spinach and cooked until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Spread the veggie mixture evenly in the bottom of the skillet and sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top.
- Pour in the egg and heavy cream mixture; this should just cover the veggies.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees or until the eggs are no longer runny. Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy!