It’s blueberry season here in the South, so I thought I would share a simple and delicious breakfast idea with you – blueberry muffins! These are packed with fruit and the streusel topping adds just the right little crunch and touch of sweetness. To make it even better, this recipe is so simple that within 35 minutes of getting started, you will be enjoying warm muffins. Another big bonus, there won’t even be many dishes to clean up afterwards!
We recently travelled to visit family and were able to pick loads of blueberries while there! If you don’t have blueberry bushes, see if a local farm near you has a you-pick service. It’s such a fun way to get outside and come home with a heathy treat. If you don’t have fresh blueberries, frozen berries will work just as well with these muffins.
This recipe makes the perfect amount, exactly 12 muffins. Before mixing the batter, line a muffin pan with 12 baking cups and preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, bread flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate small bowl, beat together the egg, milk, and vegetable oil.
Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid. Mix together until a smooth batter forms and then gently fold in the blueberries.
Add the batter to the muffin pan, using approximately 1/4 cup of batter for each muffin.
Next up is the topping, which adds the perfect finishing touch to these muffins. Use a pastry blender (or a fork will do the trick too!) to combine softened butter, flour, and sugar until the mixture is fine and crumbly. Evenly sprinkle the topping on the muffins. Don’t be shy, go ahead and use it all! The topping will spread as the muffins rise and create a nice crunchy layer on top.
Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes or until they are a light golden color on top. Let cool for a few minutes and then dig in!
These are the best on the first day or two, so go ahead and enjoy them now or share with a friend if you have extra!
I hope you enjoy these! Let us you if you bake them by using our hashtag – #bakingwithPTE!
A simple and delicious muffin that is packed with blueberries and topped with a crunchy streusel topping!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Total Time: 30 min
- 3⁄4 cup all purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup bread flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 1⁄4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease pan or line with baking cups.
- In medium bowl, whisk together all purpose flour, bread flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In small bowl, beat together egg, milk, and vegetable oil.
- Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour in the liquid and mix until a smooth batter forms.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Add batter to the muffin pan in approximately 1/4 cup increments.
- For the topping, use a pastry blender (or a fork) to combine softened butter, flour, and sugar until fine and crumbly. Sprinkle on top of muffins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until light golden on top.
- Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy! These are best enjoyed the first day or two.