This is one of 3 recipes included in our Seriously Good Freezer Meal Photo Contest.
All 3 recipes are provided from Karrie Truman’s new book Seriously Good Freezer Meals. This book is a unique compilation of 150 family and freezer-friendly recipes and will help busy families save time while getting a home-cooked meal.
Instead of going out, why not stay home and cook up a delectable Thai-inspired beef stir-fry? The tender beef slices have just the right crunch around the edges and the garlic and vinegar combine perfectly with the lightly sweet bell peppers. This stir-fry is so stellar that I am certain my husband would eat it every day if he could.
Makes 6 servings.
- 2 lbs (1 kg) beef flank steak, sliced across the grain into 1/4-inch (0.5 cm) strips
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fish sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 11/2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) vegetable oil
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine flank steak, rice vinegar, water, fish sauce, tamari sauce, brown sugar, hot pepper flakes and garlic.
- Make It Now: In a wok or large skillet, heat vegetable oil over high heat. Add beef and marinade; cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink inside.
- Add onion and bell peppers; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, until tender. Remove from heat and sprinkle with cilantro and sesame seeds, if using.
- Make It a Freezer Meal: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread sliced onion and bell peppers on baking sheet, separating them as much as possible.
- Place in freezer for 30 to 45 minutes, until onion and peppers are frozen solid. Transfer to a gallon-size (4 L) freezer bag. Pour beef and marinade into another gallon-size freezer bag. Seal, removing as much air as possible, and freeze bags together as a kit.
- Thaw and Cook: Place meat bag in refrigerator for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours to thaw (leave vegetable bag in freezer).
- In a wok or large skillet, heat vegetable oil over high heat. Add beef and marinade; cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes, until meat is no longer pink inside.
- Add frozen onion and peppers; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, until tender.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with cilantro and sesame seeds, if using.
Recipe provided courtesy of Seriously Good Freezer Meals: 150 Easy Recipes to Save Your Time, Money & Sanity by Karrie Truman © 2017 www.robertrose.ca Available where books are sold.
Top image credit: Charity Burggraaf