I have been really craving these! Seven-layer bars take me back to being a kid. Unfortunately there are some things that I used to love that I just can’t eat anymore, not because I’m so virtuous, but simply because when I eat too much sugar it hits me like a freight train! Instant headache, sore throat. It’s really a bummer, because sometimes I just want to indulge in a whole bag of Twizzlers in one sitting, but my body throws a big protest if I even consider it. So, I adapted my mom’s recipe to be relatively healthy, definitely WAY healthier than the original version, with a few extra healthy ingredients thrown in to balance out the more indulgent ones. This version definitely doesn’t leave me with a sugar hangover, but still satisfies the craving and sends me on a little walk down memory lane.
- 1 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour pastry flour if you have it
- 1⁄2 cup almonds
- 1⁄4 cup cane sugar or rapadura
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 4 TBSP cold butter cut into pieces
- 2 TBSP canola or safflower oil
- 1 TBSP ice water
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 TBSP cane sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- chocolate chips to taste
- 1 cup dried coconut unsweetened
- Process the dry ingredients in a food processor until the nuts are finely ground.
- Add butter, one piece at a time to just barely incorporate, then add oil and water until just incorporated. Press into a 9×9 pan. It’ll be crumbly, but just work with it.
- Melt coconut milk in a pan and add cane sugar.
- Layer the ingredients in the crust, drizzling the coconut milk over the top last.
- Bake in the oven at 350°F for 20-25 minutes.
You could get creative and add additional ingredients, I think. Craisins? Date bits? Slivered almonds? Granola? Enjoy and think of me as you indulge 🙂