- 1 lb bulk breakfast sausage
- 1 lg onion diced
- 1/2 lg head of cabbage chopped
- 4 medium russet potatoes chopped
- stock or water to cover
- 1-2 cups whole milk or cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook sausage in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cabbage and saute until they begin to soften, approximately five minutes.
- Add chopped potatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Add stock or water until all ingredients are nearly covered. Bring to a boil, cover, and turn heat to low. Simmer 20-30 minutes or until potatoes and cabbage are tender.
- Remove lid, turn off heat, and stir in milk or cream until the broth is as thin or creamy as you like. Taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve piping hot in large bowls.