Don’t forget: Tomorrow is the last day to snatch up 34 healthy living ebooks (plus over $40 in bonuses) for only $29. Check it out!
Aw, the one pot meal. It’s like the holy grail for every busy cook out there. It can be done in myriad ways and with varying ingredients, so long as it includes a bit of everything.
So many one pot meals I see are light on the veggies, though. We love vegetables, and I can’t understand how someone can call a dish a “one pot meal” if they are completely missing.
So in this dish you’ll find chicken, brown rice, a bit of good fat, and lovely fall vegetables like carrots and cabbage. It all comes together with Italian herbs and spices to make a true one pot meal that will nourish the whole family.
I should probably note that whenever you’re cooking rice with other things the liquid ratio is the trickiest part. So if you find your rice under-done and the dish dry after the cooking time is up, just add a 1/2 cup of water, cover and finish cooking.
One Pot Chicken and Brown Rice with Fall Vegetables
Course: Main Course
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken pieces
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 small head of green cabbage cored and sliced
- 4 medium carrots cut into 1 1/2″ pieces
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 29 oz can whole tomatoes crushed or chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 small bay leaves
- 3 cups water or broth
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1-2 tablespoons salt plus more as needed (2 teaspoons if using salted broth)
- Melt butter in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken pieces and brown on one side. Flip and add onions, carrots, and cabbage. Saute a few minutes before adding rice. Saute a few more minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir to combine, and cover.
- Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 45-50 minutes or until the rice and vegetables are tender. This may vary depending on the moisture in your vegetables.
- If everything is cooked at this point and there is still more liquid than you care for, simmer uncovered for an additional 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve alongside a fresh salad.