I used to not believe in snacks. It’s not that I didn’t experience a blood sugar crash every now and then and grab for something, anything when the need arose.
It was more like I thought that if I fed you well, (you being my children), at every meal and you ate your fill of protein balanced with good fats and a bit of low glycemic carbs then you really shouldn’t need a snack.
And then we started homesteading and everyone began eating almost twice as many calories as they once did. And, frankly, I just couldn’t keep up with meals and the constant “I’m hungry”s.
So I began to reconsider my no-snack rule. I started doling out pieces of fruit, sunflower seeds, and homemade bread and butter when the hungry cries began. I started saying yes in between meals and it started making last minute meal prep a bit less stressful since we weren’t all on the verge of utter blood sugar failure.
But I’m still convinced that protein and fat are a must for any snack or meal otherwise that blood sugar will come tumbling down even further. So these quick four-ingredient energy bites are a great way to stave off the hungry masses while keeping in line with my meal ideology.
Course: Snacks and Sandwiches
Prep Time: 5 Min
Total Time: 5 Min
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup nut butter
- Add coconut to a small bowl. Pick up a bit at a time and rub it between your hands to break the flakes up into smaller pieces.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and combine with a spoon, rubbing the honey and nut butter into the coconut until it becomes a bit of a paste.
- Sprinkle a bit more coconut flakes into a small bowl. Use a teaspoon to scoop up small amounts of the paste and place in the coconut flakes. Roll it around with your fingers until a cohesive ball comes together. You may have to really press the mixture together.
- At this point you can eat them as is or stash them away in your refrigerator for a while to set up a bit more.