Full of apples, carrots, coconut and raisins, morning glory muffins have been one of our family’s favorite breakfast recipes for years. Just recently, though, I decided to see how I could make this healthy muffin even healthier, and we couldn’t have been happier with the results.
We replaced white flour with whole wheat, sugar with turbinado and oil with coconut oil. Then we were so anxious to eat them that we cooked the muffins in a mini muffin tin so they’d cook faster! YUM!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups turbinado
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 apple, cored and shredded
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, turbinado, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in the carrot, raisins, nuts, coconut, and apple.
- In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, coconut oil, and vanilla. Stir egg mixture into the carrot/flour mixture, just until moistened. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Makes 24 regular muffins or 60 mini muffins.
What is your favorite muffin recipe?