Ask any frugal family, and chances are that beans and/or rice make a regular appearance on their menu. For some people, just the phrase “beans and rice” makes them cringe, but there are so many delicious recipes that can be made with beans, which are high in fiber, protein, complex carbohydrates, folate and iron — making them super healthy as well as inexpensive!
Most people start with canned beans, but Stephanie for Keeper of the Home shares step-by-step instructions for cooking with dried beans. Substitute whichever your most comfortable with in any of the recipes below:
- Mediterranean Bean Salad or Texas Caviar at Food for My Family
- Beans and Rice: Cooking from the Pantry at Kingdom First Mom
- Crock Pot Recipe: Black Bean Soup at Saving & Giving
- Easy Beef & Bean Dip at My Blessed Life
- Meatless Monday: Coconut Rice & Beans at Under the High Chair
Do you cook with beans? What is your favorite recipe?
Photo by Susy Morris