Planning to Eat Should be Pretty Too

It’s been almost two years since we launched Plan to Eat back in June 2009. Starting our own family business on the side and keeping an advanced web application like Plan to Eat running 24/7 has been quite an adventure to say the least! Over the past two years we have added hundreds of new features and most of them have been from your feedback. In the next few days we will be launching a completely redesigned Plan to Eat. And because we think that great design is incredibly important (from the art to the interface and usability) we decided to have a professional branding and design company cook up something really great. With this new design almost all of the features and functionality that you are familiar with are staying the same. Of course we will continue to add new features, especially now that this new visual framework is in place. As always we welcome your feeback.

Say hello to our new logo!

Our goal for the new Plan to Eat logo (and brand) is about sophistication and beauty. It’s about creating a place you enjoy visiting and being in. A place where you can happily and successfully answer one of the most important questions we are all confronted with every day. What should I eat and how am I going to make that happen?

The Home Page

With the home page we have tried to focus on what you can accomplish with Plan to Eat and why it is important, instead of detailed feature lists and screen shots (that’s what the tour is for). We have also made the subscription plans more obvious and given the testimonials the attention they deserve.

The Meal Planner

We have decided to visually simplify the meal planner by reducing the use of multiple colors for each meal time and replacing them with letters for (B)reakfast, (L)unch, and (S)upper. I’m guessing we will receive some push back on this change and we may tweak it a little based on your feedback. However the positive is that this makes it easier to eventually add custom colors for multiple meal plans or people in your family displayed on one calendar.

The Recipe Book and the Shopping List

The Recipe Book has not changed much other than moving the left menu to the top and making the recipe filters more obvious and hopefully easier to use. We also emphasized the course categories so it should be easier to quickly scan your recipes. Oh, and we have ditched the old serif font for a more modern and easier to read sans-serif font (thank you Google Fonts).

The Shopping List has also been updated with the new brand and we’ve tightening up the top navigation and button layout saving a few pixels here and there.

The Mobile Site

We think the new mobile site looks really great. The new logo reads well at a smaller size so we were able to shrink the top navigation and focus on the content. While the mobile site is not an official app it works on all mobile devices with an internet connection and can really save time at the grocery store because every item you check off on your phone is automatically moved to your pantry inventory on And for those of you that are extremely hungry for a real mobile app for the iPhone and Droid, hang in there, we’re working on it and we hear you loud and clear. =)

We really hope you like the changes and now that we  have upgraded the Plan to Eat brand we’ll be hard at work again on the long and exciting feature list that many of you have graciously provided us through all of your valuable feedback! Oh, and as always, as we launch the new site over the next few days please let us know if you notice any problems or areas that just don’t look quite right.

• Nicolette, So we can help you can you in more detail can you contact us on our support site by clicking the help link at the top right when logged in to Plan to Eat?

Plan to Eat April 4, 2011 AT 8:37 am
  • Not all of my recipies have the “key” letter next to it on my shopping list. Also, I have all dinners on my weekly planner but I have ingredients like malt o meal and oatmeal and vanilla appering on my shopping list……

Nicolette April 3, 2011 AT 11:55 am
  • Kim, In general I think the color shades are more aesthetic than functional which is why I want to stay away from stronger color variations and force the focus to a unique symbol (or letter in this case). The problem with using shades of color to differentiate meal times is that it is relative. It is only helpful in relation to the other shades and does not communicate location alone. However the letters immediately indicate the meal time and can also be quickly scanned based on the shape of the letters, especially with more use. This is similar to the way we quickly read words using the shape of the letters instead of reading the individual letters.

Plan to Eat March 25, 2011 AT 10:15 am
  • I notice you got the shades of blue thing happening! Lunch is a little difficult to distinguish from supper, though. Can supper be darker? If so, I think it will work really well. Also, I used to be able to click the add recipe button on the weekly planner at the bottom of the page to add the large recipe on the screen to the planner, and now there is no add recipe button. I have to go to the planner page to search, click and drag, which is okay, but not optimal. Sorry to be a whiner. :(

Kim March 24, 2011 AT 8:52 pm
  • Just out of curiosity, when do you think you’ll add the custom colors for multiple meal plans? No offense, but the lack of color difference between meals is KILLING me for planning. I often used to drag a recipe to the calendar and it wouldn’t always drop into the correct meal, and I would instantly know it was in the wrong place because of the color. Now I have to triple check everything before printing it off, because lunch items will sometimes slip into the dinner area, and I won’t catch it. Perhaps with the custom colors, I can set a different “faux family member” for each meal and solve my issue?? :)

Amy March 22, 2011 AT 5:51 pm
  • Nice. I look forward to exploring the new interface.

Rebecca March 22, 2011 AT 3:05 pm
  • Rana and momtess, thanks!
    Mary, This is a bug that has been haunting me for a while. I thought I had fixed it a month ago and it seems to just keep coming back.

Plan to Eat March 21, 2011 AT 3:12 pm
  • I am using my trial and I noticed with the new layout that when you are entering ingredients, sometimes tab works just fine and other times when you hit tab, you end up in very weird places–like at the calorie part. I can’t seem to recognize a pattern yet!

Mary March 21, 2011 AT 1:54 pm
  • I love PTE, love the new look, and love that you work so hard to improve it. Just back from vacation, so I’m about to test drive the new site. Keep up the great work!

momtess March 21, 2011 AT 12:10 pm
  • I love the new look and I love how easy it is to use Plan to eat. Keep up the great work!

Rana March 19, 2011 AT 2:56 pm

Gift Subscriptions

Eat healthier food. Save time & Money. Know what‘s for dinner.

Wow, that sounds like a great gift!