Course: Side Dishes
Millet Artichoke Heart Risotto shared by HolFit
Serves Change 1 servings originally
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh mushrooms (any kind)
- 1 cup millet
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups artichoke hearts make sure they’re sugar and additive free if you’re buying them in a can or jar
- Sea salt and fresh pepper
- 4-6 cups french onion soup or organic vegetable broth
In a large pot over medium-high heat, add the rest of the oil, shallots and mushrooms, and cook, stirring frequently until softened (about 5 minutes).
Lower heat to medium and start to add the stock 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each addition, every few minutes. When the stock has been almost
completely absorbed after each addition, keep adding more, so the mixture isn’t quite soup but stays very moist.
Keep doing this until millet is tender and has at least doubled in size (about 20 minutes).
Add herbs and artichoke hearts at the last few minutes of cooking and taste for texture.
Season with salt and pepper and serve warm.
Variation: Millet Risotto with Butternut Squash
Instead of the artichoke hearts, add 1 cup diced butternut squash (that’s been cooked in oil until lightly browned — about
5 minutes — and add chopped shallots towards the end and sage for your herb.