Pantry

sarah.dixon04

07 Sep, 2011 06:05 PM

I thought you could keep an inventory of what was in your pantry, then if it was in your pantry it wouldn't show up on your shopping list. Then once you "used" the item in a recipie it would remove the item from the pantry. Kind of a way to track what was in your pantry already. The staple list isn't really what I am looking for because it doesn't let you put in how much you have on hand. The pantry list as is doesn't allow this either.

So for example we usually have beef in our freezer so I would like to keep track of how many pounds of ground beef I have on hand, so I would do an initial inventory of my freezer and pantry and say I have 15 lbs of ground beef on hand, I could put that in and then as meals I choose have ground beef in them it would not add that to my shopping list but would instead take it out of my pantry. Something like this would be very handy, especially for someone for me who cans their own veggies from the garden and has a cow butchered.

1. 1 Posted by shelleyevans on 11 Sep, 2011 01:07 PM

For what it's worth, this has been mentioned before in the forum by some others, and is something that I think Clint has under consideration. As a big freezer user myself, I would find it incredibly helpful.

:)

2. 2 Posted by Romans 12:1-2 on 16 Feb, 2012 08:12 PM

Gaining the ability to keep an updated running inventory of your pantry as sarah.dixon04 requested would make this site a perfect "10".

3. 3 Posted by Romans 12:1-2 on 19 Feb, 2012 09:06 PM

It would be nice to have the option to indicate an amount of duplicates, i.e. three 15-oz. cans of black beans. To have a separate column to enter a value in would be very helpful. Currently if I have three cans of black beans I have to enter black beans 15-oz. 3 and then delete the entire item and re-enter black beans 15-oz. 2 if I use a can from my pantry and want a current inventory list. Thanks for being open to suggestions for improvements to this site to make it more user friendly. Plan To Eat is awesome!

4. 4 Posted by mrsjfresh on 20 Feb, 2012 11:08 PM

Agree, this would be very helpful.

5. 5 Posted by Curlytop on 28 Feb, 2012 07:53 PM

This would be awesome. Agree would make the site perfect. as a compromise while you work on this. could we be able to enter straight what and how many are in our pantry and manually take them out as we use them. ALSO different issue: alot of overlap based on how the author of the recipe wrote it. grass-fed ground beef vs. ground beef. shows up as two different ingredients would love to be able to sync these without going through all my recipes.

6. 6 Posted by kristinmcelderr... on 01 May, 2012 07:43 PM

I wanted to also add to this thread... Generally I find the pantry feature as currently developed hard to manage. I want to be able to click on pantry and do some editing to it (remove stuff I dont have anymore etc) as well as update amounts manually. It also seems like when I add something to pantry it permanently stays there (as in when the date passes it is not used up?) which seems a little odd. Everything else on PTE is working actually great for me, this is the one area I would like to develop a little more.

Thanks!
    Kristin

7. 7 Posted by Amanda on 04 May, 2012 04:13 AM

I too would love more functionality in the pantry as I have tons of food storage. I would also love the ability to set an expiration date for individual items instead of the whole list and these items would not come out of the pantry even if the list is reset except if you manually delete it. Things like baking items (flour, sugar, spices, etc.) rarely need to be added to my grocery list but are ALWAYS in my pantry and recipes!

Thanks Clint!

8. 8 Posted by grammax2 on 01 Jun, 2012 10:20 AM

I, too, am looking for a way to keep track of my freezer inventory. As a start, just having the option of to choose "Freezer" instead of "Pantry" would be helpful

9. 9 Posted by grammax2 on 01 Jun, 2012 10:34 AM

Thinking about this: How about a separate place for freezer inventory much like the pantry. And include an editable category list: leftovers, prepared meals, pork, chicken, beef, etc. like the shopping list.

10. 10 Posted by shelleyevans on 01 Jun, 2012 11:27 AM

I have been looking for the freezer feature for a long time, Last November I created a "workaround" based on a suggestion of Clint's, and it is working so well for me that I never think about it any more. Here (pasted from another thread) is what I did:

I created a store called Freezer. I created two new categories that I use only for the Freezer store, and called them &Meals, &Staples. (I use the & to group all the freezer categories together in the category list, make them easy to auto-fill, and to distinguish them from normal shopping categoires). Each item I have in my freezer gets added to my "Freezer" store staples list, with the quantity and date frozen in the notes section. So:

&MEALS

Chicken Pot Pie
    (3) 10/2011

Lasagne
    (1) 9/2010

That way, I know at a glance how many meals I have, and how old they are, so I can use the oldest stuff first. When I do my meal planning, I go to the staples tab, check each of the freezer items I want to use that week, and add them to my shopping list. Since "Freezer" is a separate store, the Freezer shopping list doesn't clutter my regular shopping, but reminds me what I'm using from the freezer that week. When I add an item to the shopping list, I make sure to edit the quantities in my notes, to reflect the fact that I used some up. When it's all used up, I delete the item from the Freezer staples list.

It's a little less elegant/automatic than the rest of PTE, but it works well enough for me. FINALLY I am using PTE to track my freezer items-- :)

11. 11 Posted by yekcal on 12 Jun, 2012 03:24 PM

Just wanted to add my .02 that this would be an absolutely fabulous thing to add functionality to PTE! My husband is getting very frustrated that things "get lost" in the pantry/freezer/refrigerator and suggested I start planning meals. However, I have lots of things already bought that I would love to be able to keep track of.

I'm going to use the above work around for now but would love to see this added in the future!! :)

12. 12 Posted by JulieDawn on 04 Dec, 2012 09:36 PM

Hi! I just joined today and plan to use the site for the 30 days and, hopefully, continue if all works well. After a lot of research into different sites, yours seems to be the best and I'm looking forward to fully trying it out.

I really want to be able to use the pantry function more than what it seems able to do. I am currently going through my whole kitchen to add all items I have on hand to "My Pantry". I then plan to use it to plan meals and shopping trips. I love the fact that you can cook from what you have in your pantry. I noticed when I was entering my Pantry items that most items didn't come up while I typed them in. I assume I was calling them something different than what they are called in your/other recipes? If there was a standard list of all items one could have in a pantry and use for ingredients, that would make it easier so it will subtract out what you already have in your pantry when making your list. In order for that to work, you would need to have quantities entered for the items in your pantry in a standardized measurement. I live in Canada and all our things are in grams, litres, etc. It would be nice to be able to enter this and it convert automatically to cups or ounces so American recipes could easily be compared. Maybe it is doing this already...?

An example of what I'm referring to: I added the Marilyn's Famous Whole Wheat Bread recipe to my plan and added the ingredients to my shopping list. I had already entered whole wheat flour to my pantry and salt but I called the salt "table salt" (that's what my box says). Unfortunately, it didn't seem to recognize it or compare it and just put the whole wheat flour and salt in my shopping list. It was called "fresh whole wheat flour" so I change the name of mine and also changed table salt to salt and then erased the recipe, added it again and went back to my shopping list and now those things are gone. My suggestion would be to have some way of making the items standardized so when I'm typing in whole wheat flour, the right wording would come up so that the shopping list will recognize what I've entered.

Also wondering, if I check off that I cooked a recipe, could the pantry then subtract what I used so it will always be up to date? That would be a great feature! I could use my phone at the store when I'm shopping to buy what I need, check the items off and have them added to my pantry, get home and use my laptop to open the recipe and make the meal, then check "meal made" or "panty items used" or something like that and have the ingredients deleted from my pantry. Would this be a possibility? Then the pantry would always be up-to-date and the only thing I would need to do is delete an item if I need to throw it out (expired)...but with all this planning, hopefully I'll be throwing out a lot less! :)

Thanks so much for creating such a great website. I really hope I can figure out how to use it to it's fullest.

Julie

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Clint on 06 Dec, 2012 12:20 AM

Hi Julie,

I'm just not sure it the pantry is not really as "smart" as I would like.
    It's mostly a place to keep the stuff you already have. It does not
    automatically remove items based on what you plan or cook. I do have plans
    to include more information so it is clear what items in your pantry are
    currently being used in your current meal plan, but I still feel
    like physically inventorying your pantry before each shopping trip is still
    a necessary step in the process (even if it's already in your head to some
    extend).

There are a lot of discussions on the pantry that may be helpful as well:
    http://www.plantoeat.com/help/discussions/questions/495-best-ways-to-use-the-pantry-inventory
    http://www.plantoeat.com/help/discussions/questions/516-how-should-the-shopping-list-and-pantry-inventory-work

Thanks,
    Clint

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac