no iphone app? disappointing

jenswrens

19 Jan, 2011 07:31 PM

I just discovered this fabulous meal planning website. After using it for only a few hours, I was ready to stop the trial and start paying the monthly fee. Then I went to my iphone to check out the app...

Imagine my disappointment when I discovered there IS no app, even though the website shows an iphone with pics of what looks like an app.

A "mobile site" where I have to actually use the horrible safari internet access to trudge around just to get to a shopping list is a deal-killer for me. It's just too slow. And I often can't get access inside the stores, where I need to use it.

I understand that getting an app approved through Apple is a huge undertaking, but with everything else you have going so positively, I think it would greatly benefit you. With no app, it makes you appear as a backyard, home-based website rather than a true professional company.

I have been using ZipList for grocery shopping and it is wonderful! The only thing ZipList is missing is the meal-planning calendar part. But the grocery list and iphone app are unbeatable. Being able to share lists between family members, adding things to the list using recipes or by item, clipping recipes from websites, having multiple lists, being able to stroll around the store checking things off the list on the iphone app, being able to call my husband at work and have him stop at the store on the way home and I don't have to recite a list to him - he can just access MY ziplist on HIS iphone at the store. If you need a template for a great iphone app, here it is. If you could just add this to Plan To Eat, I'd be a lifetime subscriber. As it is, I'll continue my free trial, but I am waiting for a real app before spending $$ on Plan To Eat.

Hopefully, your app will come along in a timely manner. But I wanted to post this to let you know that for most people, the mobile site is NOT an adequate substitution for a REAL app.

Thanks for listening, and good luck in your endeavors!

Showing the most recent page of comments. View the first page

1. 32 Posted by marilenes on 26 Apr, 2012 11:17 PM

Everybody is asking for an app I totally agree. I have been trying them all, apps, programs sites...you name it. The best one I found so far is plan to eat, but I so wish it not only had an app but also a real software for the computer, or an option to export my recipes in various formats. What I love about plan to eat is the bulk input. Neither Mac Gourmet or Yummy soup has that. Paprika has it but it lacks so many other features. I am just wishing for the perfect recipe management and I know you will make it one day!!!
    I guess I just have to be patient since it is a small business.
    Keep up the good work.

2. Support Staff 33 Posted by Clint on 27 Apr, 2012 04:30 PM

Thanks for the support marilenes!

3. 34 Posted by Greg on 22 May, 2012 06:09 PM

I'm just about to sign up for Plan To Eat, just tried out Ziplist and Plan To Eat looks like it's more my deal.

About the iPhone pic: it says next to the pic that you can access their mobile web site, it doesn't say anything about an app. Also most iPhone apps are just mobile web sites anyway, although they're missing out on a lot of cool functionality (reminders, maps, etc) by not making an app, and a ton of business: you'd generate loads of new users to your site by having an app in iTunes (yes I'm a product manager). Go get some dough and build an app (or have me do it!).

Looking forward to setting up my account, thanks for the great product :-)

4. Support Staff 35 Posted by Clint on 22 May, 2012 07:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback Greg! I'm not completely sold on the idea of being
    in the app store because Apple takes 30% of all my subscription fees and
    requires me to use their subscription system. However I would like to make
    the mobile site work offline and include more features!

5. 36 Posted by Greg on 22 May, 2012 07:22 PM

Yeah I just read your post regarding that :) If you knew for sure it'd be all new business and not cannibalize existing revenue it'd be worth it, probably some way to figure that out. If you grew 1000% as a result of being in the app store it might still be worth it too.

iTunes wouldn't promote you but all the editorial sites focused on reviewing apps would, cause they're all desperate for content, so you'd definitely get a bump. Plus all the search engine traffic from coming up for "meal planner app", etc. But would it pay, and would you end up growing more on your own without it and then you get to keep all your revenue?

My gut says you have to play in the app store, as much as that pisses some people off :) But I'm wrong all the time, so...

Anyway, love your product, just putting my recipes in it now, and thanks very much for the reply :)

6. 37 Posted by tmehlman on 03 Oct, 2013 10:36 PM

I too would like to add my vote for an iPhone/ipad app, with offline viewing. I frrequently cant get cell service in store, and the safari browser on the iphone is too small, and too slow. I'm sure you'd make more sales in the app store. It would really make it so much easier to use. :-)

I tried the export function, and its just way too much effort each time you want to go shopping.

7. Support Staff 38 Posted by Clint on 03 Oct, 2013 10:48 PM

Hi,

We just launched an offline version of our mobile website a few weeks ago but have not yet had the chance to update our documentation and video here: http://www.plantoeat.com/help/kb/mobile-site/using-plan-to-eat-on-a...

If you save the new version from Safari to your homescreen it will work a lot like a real app. Just make sure that you load your shopping list on your mobile device before you leave for the store so you have the most recent information cached for offline access. And if you have any issues using the mobile site please let us know.

Clint

8. 39 Posted by Colleen W on 03 Jan, 2014 07:35 PM

I just wanted to mention that I have the same concerns as the original poster regarding the lack of a true App. I like your menu planning (much better than Zip List), but the grocery list feature on Zip List keeps me on that site. With the app, I know that my phone will always sync with whatever I've done on my computer and I can very quickly access all my recipes at the grocery store without using safari. I'm looking forward to a Plan to Eat app so I can make the switch!

9. Support Staff 40 Posted by Clint on 06 Jan, 2014 07:16 PM

Hi Colleen,

You can save our mobile site to your home screen and use it just like an native app. Are you using an iPhone or Android device?

Thanks,
    Clint

10. Clint closed this discussion on 06 Jan, 2014 07:16 PM.

11. Colleen Weatherford re-opened this discussion on 06 Jan, 2014 09:55 PM

12. 41 Posted by Colleen Weatherford on 06 Jan, 2014 09:55 PM

I have an iphone.

13. Support Staff 42 Posted by Clint on 07 Jan, 2014 01:59 AM

Perfect. You can easily add our mobile site to your homescreen and use it
    just like a native app.

http://www.plantoeat.com/help/kb/mobile-site/using-plan-to-eat-on-a-mobile-device#add-to-homescreen

14. 43 Posted by Alex on 30 Apr, 2014 10:14 PM

I'm on the hunt for a menu planning app and discovered Plan To Eat on Pinterest. It looks really good. :-)

I've just read the conversation string and wondered how the 'big boys' do it. E.g. I can't imagine Weight Watchers giving 40%! They offer their app for free however you have to logon to see their members only information. Is this a possible way round it?

Kind regards

Alex

15. Support Staff 44 Posted by Clint on 01 May, 2014 04:02 PM

Hi Alex,

When we launch a native mobile app at some point, it will be most likely be free and will require that you already have a Plan to Eat account to use it. In other words, it will be a free tool for current customers, not a method of advertising for new customers.

Thanks,
    Clint

16. Clint closed this discussion on 01 May, 2014 04:02 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac