The Oatmeal Dreams Are Made Of

I know, this picture does not look like a good start to dreamy oatmeal, but just trust me.

My sweet little boy is a string bean, just like me and just like his dad.  But sometimes, because I’m a mom and moms worry, I worry that he might not be assimilating all the nutrients and getting the most out of his food and maybe his string bean legs are due to more than genes.*  So, when his favorite foods are filling, but not particularly nutrient-dense, like oatmeal, it makes me nervous.  So, I gave his favorite morning meal a little boost and it turned into everyone’s favorite way to eat it!

Print Recipe

The Oatmeal Dreams Are Made Of

Course: Breakfast

Serves: 1

Ingredients

• 1 serving prepared oatmeal
  • 1 egg
  • maple syrup
  • cinnamon
  • nutmeg

Directions

1. Beat one egg with some maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg. Beat it really well so you don’t end up with chunks of egg.
  2. Transfer some steaming hot oatmeal to the egg bowl to “acclimate” it so you don’t end up with scrambled egg in the oatmeal.
  3. Keep adding and stirring in oatmeal until it’s nice and creamy.

Powered by
Plan To Eat

It's like custard oatmeal! I like adding the cooked oatmeal to the egg so that it doesn't get very cooked. I think raw eggs are healthier, and did you know you actually have a better chance of winning an Academy Award than getting salmonella from a raw egg?  I read that somewhere, it's probably true :)  And your chances are vastly better if the eggs are from your own chickens.  But, if you were worried you could stir some hot oatmeal in, then transfer the whole thing back to the pot until you felt it was all cooked through.

Sam likes his with extra blueberries on top and a side of crazy bed hair.

*Apparently skinny kids and worried moms run in the family.  My dad likes to tell how his mother was always worried because he was so skinny, so she would make him drink nasty raw egg and oil milk shakes.  At least my concoction is a tasty one!  And my dad is a perfectly healthy, athletic 6' tall guy, so with those genes I think Sam will be just fine :)

• That oatmeal looks amazing. I currently don't eat grains because of digestive issues, but when I can have them again, this is the first thing I'll make! Reply
    Kat @ Balance & Spice February 17, 2013 AT 5:46 pm

• Sounds great! A good way to add protein. We avoid grains as well, so I like to make my toddler "pancakes" which are made from 1 egg, 1 tablespoon almond butter (peanut butter works too if you don't have a problem with it), and 1 ripe banana. A sprinkle of cinnamon to the batter is optional. Mash and mix it all up and cook like regular pancakes. Makes 3-4 small palm-sized pancakes. Super simple and she often asks for more. Egg and good fats! Reply
    Tina February 19, 2013 AT 4:46 am

• Well, I never thought of that! Genius! I'm going to try this for my little one too. :-) Reply
    Stacy @Stacy Makes Cents February 21, 2013 AT 6:15 am

• Very similar to a recipe I found Years ago on a Weight Watchers site, I believe: Beat one egg with one cup milk. Add 1/2 cup oatmeal. (At this point, I also add cinnamon, a handful of raisins, and a dash of salt.). Bring to a boil, stirring often. Turn down heat and simmer for a couple of minutes. Remove from heat and add 1 tsp vanilla. I don't add anything else when I eat it. But my husband adds milk and honey. (I don't like runny oatmeal!). But you can add anything you want now.....fruit, syrup, etc. Reply
    Sue W. February 21, 2013 AT 10:21 am

• I get comments all the time about how skinny my son is. The funny thing, when I look around, is that most kids aren't skinny. Maybe I'm just showing my age because I grew up before there was so much processed food. Kids were skinnier. I think it's healthy. As long as they're eating well. But I love the idea of a little protein with the oatmeal since my child doesn't care for nut butter in his. We'll try it. Reply
    Robin February 22, 2013 AT 4:36 pm

• I use Sally Fallon's (Nourishing Traditions) method of making oatmeal by combining the oatmeal and the water plus a Tablespoon or two of yogurt the night before I cook it. This overnight sitting makes the oatmeal easier to digest (her book gives the details on the hows and whys this fermented version of oatmeal is easier to digest). My family loves it. Even my sister and her family who rarely eat anything healthy love this and call it Auntie's creamy oatmeal. I have always been concerned however about starting the day without protein, so this concept of stirring in a raw egg is amazing..... thank you very much!!!!! Reply
    Cherie February 23, 2013 AT 10:02 am