Healthy Snacks for the Road

Over the holidays we did a lot of traveling and I found myself worrying about my kids surviving on party food alone.  To minimize the effects of days on end of parties and treats, I tried to make sure we had plenty of healthy snacks that we could grab and take with us.  At least if we were eating on the road, I could make sure it was healthy.  Here are some snacks that I found my kids loved and I felt good about giving them.  I’d love to hear what your tried-and-true healthy snacks are!

Soaked nuts (We soak these overnight to start the sprouting process and up the nutrient content.  Then we drain them and let them dry.  They’re also tastier this way, I think, and easier for little teeth to chomp on.)

Seaweed (Full of great micronutrients!)

Honey sticks (These are more of a treat, so I only get them out occasionally or when I really need my kids on their best behavior:)

Unsweetened (or at least non-sugar) cereal (We don’t eat cereal, but every once in awhile it makes a great snack.  Our kids aren’t used to sugary cereal, so even puffed wheat or unsweetened Cheerios seem exciting to them!)

Spirulina chips (my three year old loves these and they’re super healthy!)

Freeze-fried fruits and veggies (These are awesome because the kids are nuts about them and I don’t have to worry about mess.  We went to a choir performance at a local cathedral for Christmas and I kept a little baggie in my purse and administered them throughout the performance.  The kids were angelic!)

Dried fruit and non-messy fresh fruit

Nut butter packets

Drinkable snacks (in spill-proof containers!!): homemade yogurt, green smoothies, pureed soup, almond milk smoothies, etc.

Especially with young kids, who can be so unreliable about what and when they eat, I find that if I know their snacks are nutrient dense and healthy, I worry less if we’re not sitting down to the table for three square meals.  What are your favorite healthy snacks?

• I don't think I'd consider a stick full of pure sugar a healthy snack in any way. Sprouted nuts sound interesting. What kind of nuts do you use? We like Larabars for snacks. They contain only fruit, nuts and spices with no added sugar (unless you get one of the few flavors that have chocolate chips in them) no chemicals and are gluten free. They make smaller snack sized ones that would be good for little kids, too. Real cheddar cheese squares or slices, with or without crackers, has always been a favorite for us. My son isn't little anymore but we all still like healthy snacks. :) Reply
    Melisa January 8, 2012 AT 7:53 am

• Sometimes I can find raw honey sticks at Whole Foods, and I'm actually totally fine with honey as a treat. The raw kind has wonderful health benefits and, at least, for my own body, I don't feel any of the negative effects like I do with refined sugars. But, I think everyone's body responds differently to various foods, so if honey makes your kids wild, don't feed it to them:) Reply
      Amy @ Progressive Pioneer January 8, 2012 AT 3:39 pm

• "(These are more of a treat, so I only get them out occasionally or when I really need my kids on their best behavior:)" Kids need treats and it's better to give them honey than candy. Thanks for the informative post, I had no idea what Spurilina was until I read your blog. Thanks again Reply
    Jill January 8, 2012 AT 9:32 am

• What about Snapeas Crisp. Or fresh edamame. Reply
    liz coplon January 8, 2012 AT 12:10 pm

• I've only had those Snapea Crisps once and thought they were delicious, but have a feeling they're pretty processed:( How do they get them so light and crunchy! Fresh edamame is a great idea! I bet my kids would love them, especially because they're so fun to eat right out of the pods:) Reply
    Amy @ Progressive Pioneer January 8, 2012 AT 3:40 pm

• I take bubbies pickles and boiled eggs along with us a lot. Of course kefir and yogurt, but you already mentioned that. Because we are on GAPS, we try to keep the sweets, even fruit, to a minimum right now, but I use dried fruit as bribes :) (For things like eating the cod liver oil). Also cucumber rounds and homemade ranch, but that's nothing new. Reply
    Erin January 12, 2012 AT 11:10 pm

• Right now my kids favorite snacks are pretzels with all-natural peanut butter. I don't mind snacking on that either. It's a good energy booster for me. I've been giving my kids the freeze-dried fruits for snacks lately too and they love those. I have been trying to move away from cereals and processed foods. I have a soft spot for rice crispy treats, but I use the whole grain puffed rice, kamut and corn and add in a scoop of all natural pb. This is good to get other ideas. Long trips can be a bit of a challenge when it comes to snacks and food. Reply
    Sarah January 19, 2012 AT 12:41 pm